Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Marizpan Puppies

How do you know when you've taken a joke too far? Well, some good friends recently got married and, as a joke, I told them I was going to have the famous painting "Dogs at Poker" recreated in marzipan for them as my wedding gift. It was hilarious at the time and thinking about it still makes me laugh.



What's not funny however, is the fact that now, in order to continue with this grand joke, I need to make good and produce "Dogs at Poker" in a sweet confection typically draped over wedding cakes, not used in wedding presents. Of course I could just not follow through and things would be okay. After all, the happy couple lives in Seattle so I don't see them very often. Somehow though, that just doesn't seem right. If you're going to go through the trouble of starting a joke like this it's also important to finish it. I've never worked in the medium of marzipan, but something tells me this isn't going to end well.

No comments: