Sunday, October 5, 2008

Beating the Fall-drums; Part I

Today I decided to return home early from a visit with the family in order to take advantage of the sunshine and blue skies that are becoming more rare this time of year in the SC. The plan was to hit the trails for some fall mountain biking. My friend Brian and I decided to head north to Black Moshannon State Park. This was my first time riding in Black Mo. One of the "harsh" realities of living in State College is the fact that there are miles and miles and miles of epic mountain bike riding within about 30 minutes. There is some truly amazing singletrack and it's basically in my back yard. Deciding which trails to ride is usually the hardest part. Rothrock State Forest is generally the ride du jour while Black Mo typically gets the nod in winter to hike for turns on the defunct ski slope. This was a slight departure from the norm but I would soon realize it was a wise choice.

The bike takes in some sunshine

Brian making it look easy

I don’t know if it was the weather or the fact that I’ve been off the bike for a few weeks but it was an incredible ride. There wasn’t anything too technical about the terrain but there were plenty of rock gardens, stream crossings, gnarly switchbacks, and enough downed trees to make a grizzled lumberjack dance like a ballerina in a music box. Add in the fall colors and it turned into a fantastic afternoon all around. When I go on rides like the one I did today, I'm reminded of just how much fun fall mountain biking can be. I'm just glad there's still plenty of fall left.

No comments: