Sunday, July 1, 2012

One Step Closer

So as most things go with my home improvements, this last round has been taking significantly longer than I've wanted or even hoped.  Fortunately though, this past weekend I finally got a nice reward for all the hard work I've been putting in lately.  My central air was plumbed, filled, and turned on.  And this was not a moment too soon as the entire weekend was blistering hot. 

Now that I was finally comfortable being in my own home, I was able to think about other things like all the cleaning I still had to do and a few races I have coming up.  I plan to compete in the Pennsylvania State Road Racing Championships in a few days and hit up a local mountain bike race over the next weekend.  I know what you're probably thinking.  "What has this clown done to earn a bid into the PA state road championships?"  "Is he that fast and talented on his bike?"  

The answer to those questions would be: any hack with a bike, and enough money to cover the entry fee can compete in the championships.  The only requirement for winning this prestigious distinction is to be the highest placed Pennsylvanian in your particular category.  You can technically finish DFL but if you are the only person from PA in that race then WOOPIE(!) you've just won a state road race championship.  The answer to the second question from above (remember, there were two) is no.  I am definitely not, but I met the requirements to question one so it looks like I'm in.

I'm fairly certain I'm not at all prepared for this road race but I'll give it a go and see what I can do.  Who knows, maybe things will work to my advantage and I'll be able to pull some magic out of my hat (or helmet in this case).  The mountain bike race will be a little more relaxed for me.  I don't know how much actual "racing" I'll do but I'll give it solid effort.  Fortunately it's in my backyard and I know the trails well enough to know how hard to go out.  Either way though, I'll have the satisfaction in knowing that at the end of the day, I'll be sleeping in pure air conditioned bliss.

No comments: