Sunday, July 15, 2012

Tchotchke-Fest

So part of last week and into the past weekend was the annual festival in the SC where people from all over the country come to town and try to sell their "art."  Fortunately for these people  two things hold true.  Art is very subjective and apparently a whole hell of a lot of people seem to like spending a lot of money on bric-a-brac.  

While I do enjoy browsing around the various booths to see what people have to display, the majority of these knickknacks are much more high-brow then my simpleton way of life will allow.  To put it another way, unless you're planning to spend between roughly $75 and $250 for a metal flower, a bird feeder, a wooden spoon, a purse made from an old couch, or a hand carved rock then you might want to stay away from this particular event (and that's just the low end of the price spectrum).  Sure, there are a lot of really great gewgaw that someone spent a lot of time creating, but about 98% of it is priced beyond what I'm comfortable shelling out (kettle corn not included).  

While there are some trinkets that I would consider buying, the biggest reason (aside from laying out the cash) is that I don't know what I would do with my purchase of choice.  Most of the bauble seems like something that I would just display on a table or in some corner of my house.  Then it just becomes one more item that I'd have to dust, and with all the mess I've been making in my house lately I don't need anything else to capture dust.  That would just be as foolish as spending $175 on an eight inch wooden plate.

No comments: