Sunday, April 1, 2012

Dating Days; Part 5

I’m not exactly sure how to explain it, but things with Estelle may have taken a slight step backwards this weekend.  Did I say slight?  I maybe should have said massive.  The best part though (if there can actually be one) is that it wasn’t something that I did or said.
I’ve had several occasions to woo Estelle and started getting into her “good graces” so I thought it might be time to introduce her to some friends.  It just so happened that my friends Jerry and Caroline were coming up for the weekend to stay with me.  Jerry and Caroline are great people and very fun to hang out with so I thought Estelle would enjoy their company too.  In turn, I could use Jerry and Caroline as a barometer to see if Estelle was actually worth all the trouble I’ve been going through lately.  
Saturday night the three of us met Estelle out for dinner.  We were having a great time, laughing and joking and all that stuff.  I took this as a good sign but then things got weird.  About an hour into the meal Estelle noticed someone walking over to our table and she said, “Oh no.”  “I can’t believe he’s here.”  As I looked over to see who she was talking about, I noticed a man standing at our table and he said, “Hello Estelle.” “It’s good to see you.”  After some uncomfortable small talk Estelle informed us that this fine upstanding fellow (let’s call him Dave) was her ex-fiancé.  
Estelle continued to tell us that she broke things off with Dave because she found out that he was Jewish and couldn’t, as she put it, “Be with someone who was stingy.”  As soon as I realized she actually did, in fact, just say that; I looked over at Jerry who was looking back at me.  See, it just so happens that Jerry is Jewish and I guess didn’t take to kindly to this knock on his entire religious upbringing.  
After what seemed like an eternity of uncomfortable silence, I changed the subject and we continued on with the evening, except there was a bit less jovialness than before.  Jerry didn’t freak out (although he could have) and after we parted ways with Estelle to go back to my house,  I got an earful, and it was about as I expected.  I don’t know if she was serious about what she said but I plan to find out.  Needless to say, Jerry and Caroline are not fans of Estelle so I might have to reconsider this relationship.  

4 comments:

Lucy Delaney said...

oh dear- might have to drop her back off in the frozen food isle... what an odd encounter!

Ieva said...

Nothing a little late-night texting can't sort out.

Betty said...

Are you delving into fiction these days?

Wormzilla said...

You need to post some pictures of Estelle. She seems to have a great sense of humor, we just want to make sure she doesn't tower over you like your last amazonian GF.