Sunday, April 15, 2012

Back to Basics

Now that I have a bit more free time in my day-to-day since I'm no longer trying to date a (maybe) anti-Semite, I decided it would be a good idea to get back to my roots and back onto my bike.  Fortunately the weather was cooperating and Sunday turned out to be a great day for a ride.  Well, only half of it was great for riding.

Brian and I decided to head out and spend about four hours on the bike.  This would give us a solid day and still allow me some time to take care of a few things around the house.  Things were going great on the way out as we had a wicked tailwind to push us along.  We were making great time rolling along much faster than we should have been.  Things got a little dicey when we started our return trip.

See, the tailwind turned into a solid headwind and we were getting buffeted by crazy amounts of wind.  It was brutal to say the least.  Fortunately Brian is taller than I am so I spent a lot of the ride back tucked into his draft allowing him to do all the work.  Sure it's a bit selfish but it was still plenty of work for me to try and keep up with him.  

When we finally ended our ride we had logged about six hours on the bikes and managed to get in just over 100 miles.  Right now, however, my legs feel like wet noodles and are on the verge of cramping every time I move.  Hopefully this will prove to have some benefit when I attempt a race a the end of the month.  Of course that assumes I'll recover from today's outing.

No comments: