Sunday, April 22, 2012

Dreams

Once upon a time, I had these grand allusions that I was going to be a bike racer.  Like most fairy tales, this particular bit of fiction makes much more sense in my mind than in reality.  Sure I've done a handful of races back in the day but it's been a few years since I've gotten my race license and spent the time or effort to train for competition.  Well, for the past month, Jerry has been guilting me into entering a race this coming weekend and for some unknown reason I think I'm going to do it.

In the past when I've raced, my season typically wouldn't start until sometime in mid May when I've had time to log a bunch of miles in the saddle.  While I've been riding a lot lately I haven't been doing the types of rides that will get me conditioned to do a good ole fashioned four corner crit.  Needless to say I'm nervous and unsure about what will happen.

The main race is on Sunday but to make things more interesting there is a track race at the "Bud" that I think I'm going to have to do as well.  I've never raced on a track before, but then again I've never raced back-to-back days before either.  If nothing else, this will be a humbling experience and a welcome foray back into the world of bike racing; if only for a dose of reality to make me feel slow.

1 comment:

Betty said...

Grand illusions, perhaps?