Sunday, April 25, 2010

What Came First?

So what did come first; the chicken or me? While I realize that’s a stupid question and really doesn’t make any sense at all, it’s the basis for something that seems to be all around me lately. The other day I was flipping through the four television channels that I get from my air signal and started watching a program about food and the process by which large agribusinesses have, for the most part, replaced the family farm in creating the majority of the produce and other food products that show up in the grocery store.

A day later I found myself watching a program about dirt and why it’s so important to everyday life. I found it odd that these programs with similar topic matter were being shown in close succession but the 40th anniversary of Earth Day was just this past week so I assumed that had something to do with it. Regardless of why it was being shown I was paying attention and found the general theme being presented a bit troubling and eye opening.

I never intended this blog to ever take on too serious of a tone and I don’t necessarily like the preachy undertones of this post but I was really taken aback by some of the processes and methods that get certain products onto people’s dinner tables. I found myself questioning every food choice I’ve made in recent memory. I didn’t want to eat another bite of anything until I knew exactly what brought it to me. I also began making a mental list of all the companies or products I wanted to make sure to avoid if even remotely possible.

I do my best to buy locally grown produce and other foods because it seems like a good idea. I also like to support local anything from bike shops to bands to restaurants. After watching these documentaries though I’ll being buying local because I feel safer knowing exactly where the sustenance I put into my pie-hole comes from.

1 comment:

A-Mac said...

well that explains it