Sunday, May 31, 2009

Life of the Party

This was a good weekend. While I managed to log some miles on my bike, I also went to a birthday party. This wasn’t a standard birthday party, but the first birthday for Sergio (the son of my friends Brittany and Jordyn). The first birthday is always special because you finally get to have an age that is measured in years instead of months. You also get to smash your hands into cake, throw it around the room, make a complete mess, and no one cares. In fact, people find it cute. When I turned 28 I had a little too much to drink and did the same thing at a restaurant except no one found it cute or funny, but I digress.

Since this was a birthday party for a one-year-old there were a lot of other kids there, which made sense. Kids are fun. They’re just miniature people that need a little extra attention. While I don’t have any of my own, I do have seven nieces and nephews (with number eight on the way). Also, several of my friends have either just recently had kids or are expecting.

It’s interesting because this influx of shorties didn’t happen overnight. The stork brought the oldest of my nieces and nephews almost eight years ago so this isn’t new to me. I think I’m noticing it more because the people I spend the majority of my free time with are having kids; therefore it’s becoming more a part of my day-to-day.

Overall, I think it’s fantastic. Kids are great because the most pedestrian activities are new and exciting to them. There’s also all the different experiences you can introduce them to such as riding a bike, seeing the ocean for the first time, going camping, or just getting to stay up “past their bedtime.” I imagine there are also some things that aren’t fun but I try not to get involved with that part because after all, I’m not one of the parents.

2 comments:

madam0wl, a.k.a Sandra said...

Sure, I might be completely frazzled, but yes, kids are fun... sometimes. :)

A-Mac said...

I'm still trying to figure out who this "stacking cheddar" blogger is. He sounds like a friend of mine. But that friend isn't as introspective as the stacking cheddar guy.