Sunday, May 17, 2009

Fill it to the Top

A lot happened this weekend. The weather was pretty good (for the most part) so I spent just about all of it outdoors. Saturday I finally got to enjoy some time outside climbing. It was the first time this year I’ve been on real rocks. I haven’t had much time to climb at all lately, let alone outside so I was really looking forward to this.

I met up with Scott, Ieva, and Cathy at the “Power Cut” in the lower reaches of Rothrock. As its name indicates, the Power Cut is an outcropping of rocks at the top of clearing for an electric transmission line. The rocks are nice but it was a little humid so lots of chalk was needed. After about two hours I managed to cut my hand and that marked the end of my climbing for the day. I was okay with that because I needed to get some supplies out to Brian’s cabin for an impending pig roast.

Brian’s cabin is a rustic little place on some acreage with a pond. It’s out of the way and has a great porch for sitting. Saturday turned out to be the perfect day for doing just that. By mid afternoon a rainstorm rolled through and the heavy drops on the tin roof mixed with a group of friends and some sweet tunes made the day just about ideal. Things went on like that into the night and a good time was had by all.

Sunday brought about some cooler temperatures which was a recipe for an afternoon of mountain biking. Fly Scott, Betty, Cathy, iScott, and I went out to Rothrock to ride the Coopers Gap area. We did a loop that included some of my favorite singletrack. It was a little wet in spots but that didn’t bother me. I was just happy to be out on my bike enjoying a day in the woods. We rode for about three hours and I felt good (except for the two times I went down).

It’s weekends like this that make me realize just how fortunate I am. Sure there are some aspects that I might change, but let’s be honest; I have no room to complain. At times I even feel a bit guilty. I’m lucky enough to have so much happening on the weekends the biggest part I seem to be missing is sleep.

No comments: