Sunday, May 10, 2009

A Tale of Two Trails

This weekend marked the grand opening of a new trail system at Raystown Lake so Scott, Ieva, Cathy, and I decided to go for a ride. The Allegrippis Trails were built for multiple uses but on Saturday it was all about mountain biking. Amid much fanfare (which I didn’t get to see) the thirty plus miles of buffed out singletrack officially opened for use.

The Allegrippis Trails are unique in that they are nothing like the trails we normally ride in Rothrock. They were designed with the mountain bike in mind. There are lots of wooptie doops, banked turns, and swoopy stuff that make it wicked fun and super fast. There are no rocks, logs, or roots to slow you down. The trailhead is only about an hour away but it felt like we were riding out west.

We ended up riding for about three hours and while it wasn’t the usual rock-fest I’m use to, it was still more of a workout than I expected. I was dirty, my bike was dirty, and my back was sore from hitting all the kickers. I have to say though, it was totally worth it. It’s amazing that Central Pennsylvania can have such a diverse and exciting mix and variety of trail options that are so close. I have a feeling this is going to be a fun summer in the woods.

No comments: