Sunday, May 24, 2009

Miles & Miles of Miles & Miles

Pain hurts. Usually it comes with a hefty price that no one wants to pay because it’s bad. For me however, this weekend brought about a lot of pain that I inflicted on myself, and it all revolved around riding bicycles. Oh yeah, Brian was included to make sure the suffer-fest actually occurred because suffering is right up his alley.

I haven’t done a century yet this year so I decided it should be included in the weekend’s agenda. As I talked about it with Brian he suggested we do the Renovo loop. Brian and I did this same ride last year and it was fast but that was last year and I was in much better shape. Unfortunately I thought it would be a similar ride, but I was wicked wrong. Without getting into the details I’ll say this: I was glad we departed from Bellefonte because I might not have completed the ride if it was longer than the 101 miles we did. Even though it was a fast ride (by my standards) I was happy to be off the bike.

Apparently I didn’t get enough riding in during the death march that occurred on Saturday because I thought it would be a grand idea to ride trails on Sunday. Granted, my legs felt like sticks of butter that had been sitting out in the sun all day but I still wanted to ride. Needless to say, Brian was more than happy to get back out and that meant I was going to suffer again.

We ended up doing about four hours on the trails which as about three hours and fifty-nine minutes more than I should have done. This became blatantly obvious when I was struggling to turn over my easiest gear; regardless of the trail. Lucky for me the route we picked included lots of climbing on double track and fire-roads. Oh yeah, the hike-a-bike we did was also a world of fun.

I spent a lot of time on my bikes this weekend. It hurt. I suffered through hot and humid conditions while slogging along on a bicycle with only myself to supply the motor. I have cuts, scrapes, bruises, sore everything, and lots of pain, but I wouldn’t want it any other way.

No comments: