Sunday, August 21, 2011

Reality Shmeality

It should come as no surprise that I like to think I’m a busy guy or at least I talk like I’m a busy guy. When I get home from a long day at the office or finish working around the house I like to settle in and watch one of the seven channels that I have with my cable-less television. I’m a big fan of turning on some mindless sitcom that I can fall into and laugh or just zone out. The problem I have is that anymore these shows are few and far between. In particular, it seems like the majority of the programming is some form of reality based television and this kind of sucks.

I don’t really care what has-been celebrity can dance a tango. I’m not interested in knowing which member of the U.S. populations thinks their dog juggling/ventriloquist/uni-cycle riding qualifies as a talent. There isn’t a single person on TV that I would ever consider idolizing; especially someone I’ve never heard of that sings songs. If you think you can find true love among a group of men or women just by handing them a rose, chances are you’re in for a major disappointment.

I want udder, mindless, nonsensical blather that is spewed forth from characters with names like George, Jerry, Elaine, or Cramer. It’s okay if I miss an episode because it’s not a running story. Give me something to laugh at; something that whisks me away from the reality I deal with all day and transports me into some kind of fantasy land where I can laugh at bawdy jokes or simple one-liners. Television use to be an escape. Now it’s just a bunch of people trying to win something, and nothing about that is funny or enjoyable.

No comments: