Sunday, August 14, 2011

Killing Time

After a long dry spell, the rains have been peppering the SC repeatedly and I couldn’t be happier. Not only was my yard looking a little rough, the landscaping was starting to take a beating too. While I realize we need the rain, it put a bit of a wrinkle in my weekend plans that were probably too ambitious for my own good.

Instead, I spent Sunday morning enjoying my coffee and watching some television. Usually on the weekends I’ll listen to some NPR while waking up but I can only take so much Thistle & Shamrock. Since I don’t have cable, my options for programming on the TV is limited. This Sunday I found myself watching a local “outdoors” show that was all about a guy trapping animals.

I have no personal or moral issues with this kind of show but I often have to laugh while watching. In essence, the show consists of a guy wading around in roadside ditches setting traps to catch muskrats or minks or whatever else might wander into the unsuspecting jaws of death. I don’t want to sound too uppity, but this was probably one of the most redneck things I’ve seen in a while. I have to give the guy credit for being so enthusiastic about outsmarting varmit but I’m not sure it qualifies as quality programming. Of course, I did watch the entire show so it had me hooked.

No comments: