Sunday, December 5, 2010

Red & Black Plaid

Well, it has finally started to get cold in the SC. I think this time the cold is finally going to stay around for a little while. We’ve had a few days of flurries but nothing to get too excited about, at least not yet. It’s been more of some playful eye batting then a full-on date, but hopefully that will soon change and the slopes will be covered with a deep blanket of white stuff, even if it is man-made.

Since the cold has decided to stay around, I thought this weekend would be a good opportunity to get the house in “winter mode.” That means putting in the storm windows, putting plastic on windows, cleaning the garage to make room for the car, and stacking as much firewood as possible in the hopes that I will actually have enough wood to use the stove this winter and keep my house at a cozy 62 (instead of the standard double nickels).

See, I have this crazy notion that each winter I’m going slog off into the woods and fell a bunch of trees; then cut, split, and stack all this lumber to use as fuel to heat my house all winter long. Sure, it can be fun to run a chainsaw and swing an axe but let’s face it, I’m no lumberjack. With any luck I’ve got enough wood to last me through the hardest part of the winter but next year I might just have to break down and buy a few cords of wood like most normal people do.

1 comment:

madam0wl, a.k.a Sandra said...

I think the cold down here has gotten frisky and making the moves to steal third base...

Man only one person answered me on facecrack when I asked what temperature they keep their houses at, but that is the weird info I dig on. 55? Wow dude that is hardcore. I didn't turn our heat on until it got down to a day or so of indoor low 60s. Even now with the heat hovering at like 67 I'm still wearing layers... this joint is as drafty as my Iowa house.