Sunday, December 12, 2010

Plumbing for Dollars

Since buying my house I’ve been compiling a long list of projects and other tasks that I want to accomplish. This includes demolishing things, building things, and changing things to meet my needs. One of the recent projects I decided to take on was installing a wash tub in my basement where a janky little (mostly dysfunctional) sink currently exists. Sure it’s a nice sink and was probably fancy in its day, but now, I need something that is more utilitarian. Oh yeah, and the existing sink leaks too.

In order to properly install a new wash tub, I have to do some minor plumbing. See, there are no shut-off valves or any type of modern plumbing in place now. While I’m not a card carrying plumber by any stretch, I decided that I would assume that role too. Plus, it gave me an excuse to buy a torch and other neat tools that everyone should have.

I think it’s important to note that I haven’t actually started in on this project yet aside from buying the necessary equipment. My plan, at this point, is to get the old sink out of the way and install the shut-off valves. In order to get that far, I’ll need to shut off the water to the entire house so if something happens to go wrong (and how would that be possible?) I won’t have any water. I’m a little hesitant to start, but I’m fairly confident that I’ll be able to pull this off. Of course I might also end up flooding my basement and then I’ll have something really interesting to write about next week.

1 comment:

Lucy Delaney said...

beware, sean replaced out old sink and it hasn't stopped leaking since. old homes are a serious challenge! or actually, why don't you come down and fix our sink when you are done with yours...I will give you your keys back too!