Sunday, December 26, 2010

Little Elf

Another year has almost come to a close and Christmas is upon us once again. For a lot of people, the holidays are a time when there are traditions that they like to follow. I, interestingly enough, am one of those people. While I haven’t been carrying this tradition for very long, it’s one that I make sure not to miss. This time of the season I enjoy listening to an excerpt of a reading from a collection of holiday stories that is played on the radio.

Each year, that ultra liberal hippie radio station NPR plays a reading of David Sedaris’ Santaland Diaries. I have read the actual short story but nothing is quite like having the author himself retell the tale of his former employment as a department store elf during the Christmas season. The emphasis and inflection is where it should be and really makes the story come alive.

As I’ve gotten older, the traditions I grew up with have started to fade away. This isn’t anyone’s fault and I’m not complaining, it’s just that times have changed, schedules have gotten busier, and my nieces and nephews are now the center of attention for the holidays, which is where it should be. I think it’s time for me to start establishing my own traditions, and so far the adventures of Crumpet are definitely a funny way to kick off the season.

No comments: