Sunday, March 7, 2010

Hitting a Wall

So the last few weeks I’ve been feeling very drained. I’ve felt physically and mentally rundown to the point where I haven’t been motivated to do much especially writing interesting blog posts. It’s been easy to recycle the same blog post about snowboarding because that’s what I’ve been doing. Riding on the weekends and going on trips to ride were helping me get through the week but eventually that wasn’t enough. Everything caught up with me yesterday when I was out at the mountain on patrol.

It was an amazing spring weekend with bluebird conditions and soft snow that was easy to edge. I was working the morning shift so I was at the mountain shortly after eight. The only problem was I didn’t feel like riding. I had no motivation to strap into my binders. I took a few runs to try and shake out the cobwebs but I just didn’t have it. My form was all over the place which usually leads to injury. I had no energy or desire to continue riding so I just sat back and waited until my shift ended. I was just happy to get home and settle into a quiet evening.

Sunday started off similar to Saturday with another early trip to patrol at the mountain; however I woke up with a little more energy than the day before. The conditions were firm and thin so it was difficult to set an edge, but the forecast was for blue skies and more warm temperatures. Instead of waiting until later in the day for the sun to soften the snow I just kept riding. I didn’t want to stop.

As the conditions improved so did I. Throughout the day some friends showed up with their kids so I tagged along to help keep an eye on their shorties as they attempted to hit every kicker on the mountain (even if it wasn’t really a jump). I also met some new people and rode with them for a while. Sunday was the complete opposite of Saturday and also turned out to be very cathartic for me.

As the weather continues to warm up I’ll have a larger variety of activities to occupy my time and that will definitely be a good thing. At the end of the day though, it doesn’t matter how hard I stomp a booter or how deep a trench I dig. What really matters is that I’m having fun and getting rejuvenated for the 9 to 5er that lies ahead and that was exactly my Sunday.

1 comment:

Lucy Delaney said...

I hear Georgia is good for lifting spirits, just sayin'.