Sunday, March 28, 2010

Eat Like a Bird, Get Skinny Fast

So my first mountain bike ride of the season didn’t quite go as planned. It was only going to be about an hour long ride after work but, because I flatted twice, I had to get a ride back to my car in the dark. This repetitive flatting perplexed me as I wasn’t sure why it happened. I was running the same tire pressure that I have for the last three seasons and the bike was set up the same but for some reason this ride was different. Then it dawned on me: I was getting flats because I had gotten fat. Due to this extra weight I figured I should explore ways to remove it or invest in rubber futures.

Recently I learned of the diet that the most intense guy I know lives by. Actually, to say Dave Case is intense is an understatement. I don’t think I know anyone who is more focused on getting the most out of every activity while also having fun in the process (all the while being a super nice guy). It’s hard to describe the type of person Dave is so I’ll use some analogies. Yes, I’m copying the idea of this next part from someone else but I think it applies quite nicely here too so please play along.

----------
When Dave goes mountain biking the rocks wear helmets.

When Dave goes surfing, the sharks put out Dave warnings.

People get sick because of the flu. The Flu gets sick because of Dave.

When Chuck Norris goes to sleep, he checks under the bed to make sure Dave isn’t there.

Telemark skis were created because you can’t contain any part of Dave, especially his heels.
----------

So I was talking with Herm the other day and he mentioned he had a copy of the diet that Dave created and, given my current propensity for flat tires, I was interested to know what it was all about. I thought maybe I’d give it a go for a little while and see if I couldn’t lose a few LBs. Of course, all of that changed once I actually saw what was required by this meal plan.

When I finished reading through the information I was in disbelief and thought (or actually hoped) I had missed a page or two. The document Dave prepared included a breakfast and a lunch that he eats everyday as well as several options for dinner. While I admire his dedication and discipline to follow this prescribed formula for super-human health, I realized his scientifically balanced nutritional map was a bit too advanced for me.

I haven’t completely written-off Dave’s guide for how to eliminate substance while still putting proper food in your system but when I read the words, “No Ice Cream, No Butter, and No Cheese” I decided it wasn’t my cup of tea (which isn’t allowed either). Quite honestly, I’m not sure how someone as active as Dave can survive on such a small amount of food per day but for the time being I’ll just plan to carry a few extra tubes.

No comments: