Sunday, February 28, 2010

Cats & Dogs Living in Harmony

As a general rule snowboarders (like me) don’t usually get along with skiers. They don’t like me because they have to wait while I get strapped into my binders at top of the hill and I don’t like them because they can traverse through any run-out without issue. Unfortunately the majority of my friends are skiers and the few that do snowboard are switching over to skis so I often end up riding with the two-plankers. While there aren’t many things skiers and snowboarders see eye to eye on, there is one thing where we are in full agreement. Few things beat riding in powder.

This weekend Brian (a skier) and I went to Black Mo to check out the abandoned ski slope. It’s only about a quarter mile hill with around 200 feet of elevation change but when there’s snow it can be amazingly fun. Usually the fumers get to the hill first and track out most of the good lines but this weekend was a bit different. We got to the hill and looked down across a mostly clean powder field. We geared up, dropped in, and proceeded to slay the powder dragons like medieval knights. There we were; a skier and a snowboarder enjoying deep powder.

One down side to the hill at Black Mo is that you park at the top and therefore have to hike back up for each subsequent run. We managed to get in six laps before it was time to call it a day, but those six runs were fantastic. It’s not often you get to experience bottomless powder at Black Mo but we put some of our best graffiti on the hill that day. Not only did I get a solid workout I was also able to shake off some of the hangover I suffered from the night before (since it was my birthday). Thanks for that Herm.

No comments: