Sunday, February 21, 2010

Road Trippin', Again

Once again this weekend I decided to get out town for some snowboarding. It’s been a pretty terrific year of snow and I’ve been traveling a lot to enjoy it. Granted, most of the trips have been short but the change of scenery has been a welcome change to lapping the local hill.

This weekend’s destination was Ithaca New York. It’s about three hours from the SC and Greek Peak is about twenty minutes north of that. I’d never been to Ithaca or to the Peak so I was looking forward to the trip. I was going with a co-worker who has friends in Ithaca so that meant the lodging would be taken care of and I would have a personal guide at the mountain to show me the best lines.

Greek Peak doesn’t have a lot of steep chutes or burly terrain. What they do have though is an abundance of long and wide open corduroy that is ideal for cruising and laying down effortless carves. We got to the Peak early enough on Saturday and Sunday to catch first chair and rode until about noon on both days. The conditions were pretty spectacular and the board was running great. One thing that I wasn’t expecting though was the pain and soreness.

I like to think that I’m in fairly decent snowboarding shape. After all, I’ve already ridden about thirty days or so this season which is a lot for Central Pennsylvania. I usually don’t get too tired from riding groomers but for some reason my legs were cooked from riding on Saturday. It was difficult to boot up again on Sunday but with bluebird conditions I managed to rally. While I never really thought I’d get worked from riding groomers I got in some great laps with deep carves and that goes a long way to alleviating the pain. And one last thing before I forget, happy birthday Herm.

No comments: