Sunday, February 14, 2010

Frozen Sticks

So today is St. Valentine’s Day and quite frankly I don’t really care about that. In fact, I’m not even sure who St. Valentine was or what he was famous for, but I’m fairly confident it has something to do with cards, flowers, chocolates, and gettin’-it-on. At least those seem to be the main themes for this day. Being single I don’t really have anything Valentine’s related to write about so instead I’m going to talk about icicles (which might have something to do with why I’m single).

After the snow stopped flying last weekend the weather started to warm just enough to begin melting things off. Granted, it’s mostly from the sunshine than the actual temperatures but for whatever reason, the mild melting of snow is producing some fantastic icicles. For a solid two days we had really good sunshine and everywhere in town the icicles were forming.

I don’t really know why but I’ve always been fascinated by icicles. The ever changing frozen water obelisks can grow exponentially over the course of a few hours and just as quickly fall into a shattered pile that soon melts and then evaporates leaving no trace of its existence. It’s an amazing lifecycle that ends almost as quickly as it starts. It’s not just the formation of the icicles that I like but it’s also the visual depiction that they provide as they hang from the roofs and gutters. It’s a sign that winter is still around but slowly disappearing.

Okay, seriously? Did I just try to justify a post about icicles? Who does that? I think it’s safe to say that this is a clear sign I really need to find a woman. Happy Valentine’s Day everyone and watch out for falling icicles!

No comments: