Sunday, January 4, 2009

Is One Really Better Than Two?

I had a good weekend. After getting through the fun and excitement of starting a brand new year, I spent an entire day (open to close) at the local ski hill where I was on patrol. Fortunately the weather cooperated to the point where it was nice and sunny during the day but it was still cold enough to keep some (albeit not a lot) snow on the slopes. The sunshine helped soften things up providing decent conditions but it also provided some great views of the surrounding landscapes.

Even with the great weather and the respectable conditions there weren’t many people on the slopes. When the crowds are small, the number of dumb fashion trends is reduced limiting my material. Fortunately, just as I thought I would get through an entire day on the slopes without seeing something obnoxious to make me reevaluate my definition of stupidity I was handed a gift on a silver platter.

Center punching the main slope was a fantastic one piece pastel ski suit that must have fallen right out of sweet eighties Warren Miller Film (220 straight skis not included). I have to admit, I didn’t really have a problem with this article of clothing so much as I had to wonder how it could possibly be comfortable let alone functional. I figured this guy would have been better off wearing jeans and a cotton hooded sweatshirt, but I’m guessing he was using his uni-suit to protect his jeans and hoody. While I realize new gear can be expensive, sometimes it’s not a bad idea to put the twenty year old relic to rest and pick up a new jacket and pants.

No comments: