Thursday, December 4, 2008

Stupid Brain...

I like to fancy myself as an ordinary guy (except I use 18th century words like fancy). Nothing in my life is too spectacular by my standards. I have a good job, great friends, and lots of activities that keep me busy. What could be wrong with that you ask? Well, I have this stupid brain in my head that always thinks about stuff.

I have this unquenched desire to over-think and over-analyze everything imaginable. It doesn’t matter how trivial or complex the issue, I try to figure out what the outcome is going to be in a situation before any action is initiated. It’s kind of annoying because I’m fully aware I can’t figure out the ending before I even start. That’s just asinine.

I’ve recently gotten back into rock climbing. One of the techniques the real climbers keep telling me to employ is to shut my brain off and just climb. Oddly enough, it works. When you’re not thinking about the moves and where your hands and feet will go, you just instinctively climb. What I need to do is figure out a way to shut off my brain in other situations. So, brain if you’re reading this, please stop thinking and start doing. It’s best for both of us.

No comments: