Sunday, December 14, 2008

Here's Your Gold Star

As I’ve said in the past, I have a pretty decent job. It’s challenging yet allows me to incorporate a certain degree of creativity that isn’t always found in the governmental sector. This recently became particularly evident with my end-of-year evaluation.

As policy dictates, all employees are evaluated at the end of the calendar year through a written process that documents work performance. The first half is done by the employee, the second half is done by their direct supervisor, and the third half is done collectively with the intent of setting goals for the upcoming year (Yeah I know that doesn’t add up, but didn’t I say I work for the government?). A few months ago my direct supervisor resigned. Because of this unfortunate incident, we were instructed to complete all three parts of the evaluation solo.

As you can imagine it was difficult to be completely objective while filling out my evaluation. I felt a little stupid using phrases like, “Eric is a team player” or “Eric can thoroughly navigate his way through difficult political situations” or “Eric excels at stakeholder involvement and consensus building” or “Since Eric began his employment, he’s helped foster a positive paradigm shift towards technological advantages” or “Eric is an outside-the-box thinker.” Actually I could have used any generic resume buzz-word and it would have worked (but still sounded unbelievably silly).

In the end I think I provided a relatively unbiased assessment of myself considering the circumstances. I feel very confident knowing that in my personnel file there will be an evaluation which says, “In his brief tenure with our agency, Eric continues to successfully kick ass in a professional manner while encouraging others to be rad. Similarly, his overwhelming command of ironical jokes and unwavering pursuit to seem important while doing as little as possible is a continued benefit to the agency as a whole.”

I’m expecting a big promotion.

No comments: