Sunday, November 30, 2008

And the Seasons Change Again

Saturday marked the beginning of the ski season in the SC. Our local mountain (actually, it’s just a really really big hill) opened for the weekend and I found myself going to work bright and early for the ski patrol. My gear was still packed away from last season and my board hasn’t been tuned or waxed so needless to say I wasn’t fully prepared for this to happen. Also, since it hasn’t really snowed this year I wasn’t too crazy about spending my day on the mountain but I guess there were worse things I could have been doing.

As a snowboarder I have a bit of a gripe with snowboarders. Well, maybe it’s more an issue with the companies that promote the blatantly obnoxious style and look that’s on the pros each season. I’m still trying to figure out how someone can comfortably ride down a mountain on a snowboard while their pants hang precariously below their ass. I also don’t understand how wearing a moisture soaked bandana around your face feels good. Maybe it’s just me, but I prefer to grow a beard in order to keep my face warm, but then again I should consider the demographic I’m talking about.

I could continue on about this particular topic and I fully intend to do just that, but not right now. The season is still young so there will be plenty of time for me to rail against the industry that gives me so much enjoyment in the winter while also frustrating me to no end. It’s not always about the latest fashions and the hippest trends. Sometimes you actually have to ride a board down the mountain.

Even though the season opened with little fanfare it was still a bluebird day and I’ll take that any chance I can. I have to admit, it felt really good to be out on the slopes with my board under foot. With any luck the real snow will start to fly soon and I’ll be able to enjoy a full season of free-rides, tree-lines, and nipple-deep pow, so let the games begin.

1 comment:

madam0wl, a.k.a Sandra said...

My snowboarding fashion knowledge is lacking, so I look forward to more on snowboarder style :)
Though I did meet some nice (read: cute boy) sales reps from Volcom during my internship in '97...

I never would have guessed about the saggy pants trend. I suppose the whole MTV extreme sports scene/style HAS tended to borrow from "edgy" urban street style over the years. Look, these pants have a built-in boxer top. Yikes.

At least the people in your picture seem to be dressed more for function than for fashion...

Check ya later