Sunday, November 9, 2008

The Post That Wasn't

I had a great idea (or so I thought) for a post this week. I was going to write a witty dissertation on the use of the comma in everyday numbers. For example, when we write out the year, there’s no comma. Similarly, house numbers are written without a comma. Why is that?

I had it all planned out. It was going to be some of my best work. Then, however, I made the mistake of telling my friend Scott about my proposed post. Scott is considerably smarter than I am (although I’m better looking, ZING). After I told him about the idea for my post he threw out some explanation of integers, logarithms, and other things I didn’t understand. It was at that moment I realized I would not be writing about the comma, so Scott, thanks for making this week’s post a lot easier for me.

Instead, I’ll tell you all about what I did this past weekend. I did something that was long overdue and needed in my life. I did nothing. I didn’t spend time with anyone (until my conversation with the aforementioned destroyer of great ideas). Friday and Saturday I stayed at home and did nothing. The weather was decent enough so there wasn’t a reason for me to stay in other than I just felt like it.

Lately I’ve been busy with work and extra curriculars in my life. I don’t see that slowing down anytime soon. This was one of the few chances I was going to have to sit back, relax, and do as little as possible so I decided to take full advantage. I had a few things to take care of on Sunday (one of which was NOT my plan crushing conversation with Scott but I guess some things are unavoidable) so that was kind of a wash, but before that I spent some quality time doing nothing. It was a great decision.

No comments: