Sunday, November 16, 2008

What I Did On My 48 Hour Vacation

This past weekend I decided to return to my old stomping grounds and visit some of my old college friends. Late Friday afternoon I began the first leg of what was to be a whirlwind trip to Iowa. The plan was to watch the Iowa State (my Alma mater) football team play Missouri. It was the last home game of a very poor Cyclone season that left much to the imagination; however (as a fan that can’t admit their team actually sucks right now) the team is young and has a lot of potential.

Being at the stadium and in that environment brought back a lot of really great memories. It was a bitterly cold day and the nasty weather continued into the evening for kickoff. The wind was blowing strong through the stadium driving the temperatures into the mid 20’s so it was just as I remembered. An interesting aspect of the day that really reemphasized the fact that I was in the middle of Iowa was the sheer volume of people at the game dressed in Carhartt coveralls. It brought a smile to my face and made me forget the hectic schedule I’ve been keeping lately with my “real life.”

Though I was gone for just under 48 total hours, a lot happened including a few unexpected surprises making the weekend that much more interesting. I saw some old friends that I made a point to get together with and saw some people I never expected would be around (but still enjoyed seeing). None the less, it was really fantastic to be around some of the people I shared time with in the Midwestern town where I spent some important years growing up (but I didn’t really grow up).

In the end, Iowa State got shellacked 52 to 20. I had a feeling we would be on the business end of a good old fashioned trip to the woodshed, so it wasn’t unexpected. What really mattered though (and made the trip completely worthwhile) was being able to relive a few memories with good friends and remember what it was like to be that young college kid without any worries.

No comments: