Sunday, August 19, 2012

Four Horses

So this weekend I played host to Jerry from Pittsburgh and our friend Nate who now lives in Montana. Nate was previously a resident of the SC so he is well versed in the single-track that is Rothrock State Forest, but hasn't been back in a few years to enjoy it.  The main item on our agenda for the weekend was to ride, eat steak, and avoid dude parties.  I was looking forward to getting back on the bike since I'd taken a few weeks off but I was not looking forward to riding with these two individuals because of their bicycling prowess.  To make things more interesting Brian was joining us and to add extra doses of fun Jerry and Nate decided to invite Ryan, one of their former teammates, to join us on our rock garden tour.

Let me break this down for you: Jerry is a cat one road racer and is crazy fast.  I'm not sure if it's from his disproportionally large ass (compared to the toothpicks he calls legs) or his love of queso dip but either way, he's scary strong.  Nate is a cat one road racer (retired) and can ride the wheels off any bike that is provided to him regardless of age, fit, or components.  Ryan is a former masters cyclocross national champion therefore further details or elaboration isn't necessary.  Finally, Brian is just a freak and somehow has the ability to change his riding ability to keep up with whomever he is with and punish them mercifully.  

Then there is me.  As I mentioned earlier, I've spent the last three weeks not riding.  Of course even if I had I would still only be about one fourth as talented as any one of these gentlemen on their worst day.  I felt like I was riding with the four horsemen of the apocalypse, except instead of horses we were on bikes.

Needless to say it was a lot of them waiting around for me and then me falling apart and having to bail. I would have provided pictures of this menacing group of soul crushing individuals, however I was never close enough (or had enough energy) to snap a picture.  Besides, knowing my luck any photo wouldn't turn out since these four guys are borderline inhuman and everyone knows they can't be captured on film.  Overall, however, the ride was super fun but also super humbling.  Someday I hope to actually stay in touch with any of these four on a bike, but I doubt that will ever happen.  Quite frankly I wouldn't want it any other way.

No comments: