Sunday, May 23, 2010

Let's Ride

As I’ve stated in previous posts, this year’s cycling season started extra early due to some unexpectedly warm weather in late March and early April. While I’ve been logging a good number of miles, I still feel like I haven’t been riding enough. Of course, this was all put into perspective when I was talking with Ieva. Upon her mention that she had been very negligent on her riding, I decided to kill two birds with one stone.

The main reason Ieva hasn’t been able to ride much is because she is a new mother and, as logic would dictate, spends the majority of her time being a mother. I got in touch with Ieva and told her that we were going to ride over the weekend. I explained to her that I had nothing planned for the weekend other than, at a minimum, spending time on the trails with her. If she was going to rebuff my riding request she was going to need a seriously bonzer reason. Based on this rigid criterion, Ieva had no real outs and was okay with being told she had to ride.

Saturday morning brought some early discussions about a possible ride plan and some general ranges on time. Since Ieva’s schedule is dictated by the ever adorable Anders, she didn’t really get much say in when things would occur. It was going to be a quick decision so all my gear was prepared in advance. At about eleven o’clock we pulled the trigger. I scooped Cathy en route to Ieva’s and by noon we were on the trail.

We didn’t do a very aggressive or long ride. It was the standard loop up Camp Trail; across the ridge; down Kettle; along Lower Lonberger; Three Bridges; and back to the Forestry Lot, so everything was very familiar. The main difference with this particular ride was the fact that Ieva was included. That made all my dabs and falls, and missed logs, and blown lines, and generally poor riding completely irrelevant. The important part was that Ieva had a great time and the pizza and beer that followed was proof enough for me.

No comments: