Sunday, January 24, 2010

Odd Jobs

As those of you that have been regular visitors to this blog you’re aware that I’ve recently bought a house. Since I’ve finally unpacked all my stuff and recycled the boxes I guess it’s fair to say that I plan to stay in it for a little while. In an attempt to make my little slice of real estate more comfortable I’ve been doing some work. A few of these improvements I’ve been able to do myself but there are others that I have no business doing, therefore I’ve called on professionals.

Editorial Note: I think it’s important to point out that I’m perpetually late for everything so I have very little room to write the next few paragraphs but I’m going to anyway.

I haven’t had a whole lot of work done by professionals but I’ve noticed a pattern. Contractors, in my experience, fall into one of two categories: those that are early and those that are late. The process starts with me calling a contractor to come by and give me an estimate on a specific job. After some general discussion on the nature of the work we decide on a day and time for said contractor to come to my house to look at the situation specifically. Every contractor I’ve had to my house has either shown up early or they’ve been late.

It’s important to point out that I’m not being such a dillhole that I’m not willing to give a grace period for discrepancies in clocks or traffic congestion (after all, the SC is a Metropolitan Area). When I say they’re early or late I’m talking in the neighborhood of fifteen to twenty minutes. That seems like a bit more than should be acceptable.

In the end, however, I’m willing to overlook these slight annoyances. These are hard working people who do work that quite frankly I don’t want to do and, in most cases, cannot do. They work long hours doing back breaking work. Also, at the end of the day, without their expertise I’d spend a lot more time sitting around in a cold, dark house with no hot water so thanks contractors of the world, and take all the time you need.

1 comment:

madam0wl, a.k.a Sandra said...

No picture? Come on, your readers want a before and after shot if there are contractors involved.

I too am late for everything... and 15 - 20 minutes is on time if you ask me. :)