Sunday, January 10, 2010

The Cold Shoulder…

…and feet and hands and legs and arms and ears and nose. I think it’s safe to say that here in the SC it’s been cold. I don’t mean just a bit chilly but bone chilling cold, and you know what - that’s a good thing if you ask me. For the last several weeks we’ve been bombarded by cold and windy days that have lead to frigid and windy nights. While this weather isn’t ideal for much, it’s spectacular for snow.

There hasn’t been a massive puking of the white stuff but there has been enough to bring out my uninvited alarm clock to plow the roads at five in the morning and wake me up. It’s also allowed the local ski hill to make a lot of snow to add to their base. This combination has lead to some pretty stellar conditions by Central Pennsylvania standards. This weekend was no different.

I was lucky enough to be on shift patrolling during the evenings over the past weekend. The weather was ridiculous. While it wasn’t as windy as anticipated it was still blustery. Saturday and Sunday were both bluebird days with abundant sunshine but that also equated to clear and cold nights. On Saturday the temperature at the top of the mountain was a solid nine while Sunday was slightly warmer at twelve. Coincidentally enough, the conditions were also around a twelve (on a ten scale of course).

Sure there wasn’t any fresh powder but it was so cold the snow held up magnificently. The arctic temperatures made it difficult to stay out and ride but the conditions were so nice I didn’t mind. Plus Dave was there (but who’s really surprised by that?) so I didn’t need much motivation to keep at it. By the end of the weekend my legs were thoroughly worked, I had icicles on my beard, and I was very happy to be wearing wool socks.

No comments: