Sunday, December 6, 2009

Who Are You Talking To?

Recently I’ve noticed that I’ve developed an interesting habit. I talk to myself. While this might not seem like a big deal, I kind of think it might be. When I say I talk to myself I don’t me the occasional “What should I have for dinner?”. I’m engaging in full-on detailed conversations and I’m doing it out loud. It’s making me feel a little crazy. I’ve always had an internal monologue going in my head, but this is a whole different ballgame.

After a lengthy discussion with myself, I came to the conclusion that I might be feeling a bit lonely. Here’s how my theory goes (or at least what I’ve discussed with myself). For the past several years I was sharing a house with my friend Brian. We spent a lot of time together so I would talk to him. He typically wasn’t paying attention to my ramblings but there was at least another human that could have added to the discussion. Well, in July I bought a house and Brian took a job as a fancy-pants college professor. Now, I’m living alone and don’t have anyone except for myself to talk to.

I don’t think it’s that odd. I know plenty of people that talk to their pets (non-conversational talking) or sing along with the radio (musical talking) or spend time writing (silent talking). I’ve just decided to externalize my thoughts. What does seem to be a bit nutty is that I recently noticed I was having a conversation with myself when other people were around. That freaked me out a bit and made me a little concerned that I might be on my way to getting a house-full of cats, letting my fingernails grow, and wearing tissue boxes on my feet. Fortunately I’ve recognized this issue and I’ve decided it would be better for me to talk to other actual humans. At least that's what I'm telling myself.

No comments: