Sunday, December 13, 2009

A Dusty Shade of Pink

As a new homeowner I have developed a fairly substantial list of projects that I want to take on in order to improve and update my house. The dwelling was built in the fifties and therefore has a few items that need updating or improving. One of the items on the list is adding insulation to the attic.

This weekend my father decided to make a visit to the SC and help me with this project. He arrived on Friday night and the plan was to start working first thing on Saturday morning. We took a quick look around the attic on Friday (without actually climbing the whole way in) to see what the existing situation was and began to strategize for the morning. After several trips to the local big box home store we had 36 giant rolls of insulation ready to be unrolled.

My dad was first to go into the attic. I handed up supplies through the miniature opening in the ceiling and he staged them as best he could. On several occasions I heard a few expletives and, upon inquiring what was wrong, my dad said that there wasn’t enough room to move around. I knew my roof was low so the space was limited but I didn’t realize just how tight it was. Well, I was about to find out.

I climbed into the attic to be greeted by old, blown insulation that was plenty dusty, lot of cobwebs, and less room than I ever imagined. When I say it was was close quarters I mean there wasn’t enough room for me to sit completely upright at the ridgeline. It was not the most ideal situation but we were determined to make the most of it.

After about four hours of crawling, shimmying, wriggling, and using our hands and knees as feet, we had as much fluffy pink insulation installed as possible without compromising the ventilation. I also had more fiberglass pieces in my hands and arms than I cared for. Of course, with the weather turning cold, I’ve not only made my house more insulated, I’ve made my skin more efficient too.

No comments: