Sunday, December 20, 2009

Adult Santa

Contrary to what the title says, I’m not talking about a jolly man stripped out of his red suit having his way with a woman that’s been naughty and one that’s been nice (ho ho ho everybody). Now, if you could bring your mind out of the gutter I’d like to be a little more serious (but not really). This weekend I was having dinner with friends at Alison’s house and the question was asked if her kids still believed in Santa Claus. She said they no longer did but this got me thinking: why isn’t there a Santa Claus type thing for adults to believe in?

I’m not saying that grown-ups should try to convince themselves of something as obnoxious as a fat guy sliding down a chimney with a sack of gifts, but why not have something for adults to get excited about? The way I see it, once you stop believing in Santa Claus everything goes downhill. After Saint Nick is out of the picture it’s no longer milk, cookies, and trees surrounded by gifts. Sugar plums are replaced with shopping malls and lines and wrapping paper and trying to find presents that those on your list might actually like (or at least pretend to like). It takes a lot of work.

This is where a person or thing or abstract idea or amebic vapor would be useful because it would give me (as a non-Santa Claus believer) a reason to get keyed up about this holiday again. Granted, I truly do enjoy getting to see my family, the food is fantastic, and having some time off of work is a nice touch but the rest of this holiday seems to be more stressful than it should be. It would just be nice to know that falling asleep on Christmas Eve would mean that mustard companies would change back to the screw top lids. Now that’s something to believe in.

Happy Holidays Everyone!

No comments: