Sunday, November 1, 2009

Ghosts, Candy, and Beer

This past weekend I decided to get out of town. It was Halloween and, since I’m not a big fan of dressing up, I decided I’d take a trip to my sister’s just outside of DC for a visit with her family (my niece and nephews). Since the shorties are still young enough to enjoy the dressing up and candy, I thought it would be fun to tag along with them while they went to shake down their neighbors for sugary treats.

My sister lives in a toney suburb so everything is lavishly decorated to accentuate this ghoulish occasion. In fact, one entire street has several houses that hire professionals to come in and decorate with smoke machines, haunted houses, and spooky soundtracks. They also seem to have the best candy on said street so once the kids were costumed up we grabbed a handful of beers and headed out. After all, in this area, it’s really more of a block-party than the Halloween I grew up with.

A light rain accompanied the warm temperatures that made the evening all the more enjoyable. The scene was more than I expected. The amount of time and money some of these people put into decorating their houses was astounding. Also, the number of people that were out was even more surprising. It was difficult to walk down the street (and I do mean the actual street) because there were so many people. It was however, a very social environment as the adults were having as much fun as the kids.

By the time it was all over, the two vampires and the witch that we took out with us had bags full of candy and were fighting to stay awake despite the sugar IVs they were given. I was also ready to get back inside to relax with a few less screams and howls. It’s been a long time since I’ve gone door-to-door on Halloween and watching the shorties get caught up in the theatrics was well worth it.

No comments: