Sunday, October 4, 2009

Things I Hate

While other people might disagree, I consider myself a pretty easy-going guy. There really isn’t much that I hate. In fact, I don’t even like using the word because it seems so harsh. Until recently there was only one item on the list of “Things I Hate.” That one thing was cobwebs. I truly hate cobwebs, with one caveat. If I’m in the woods were cobwebs are common, I don’t mind them. They’re supposed to be there. However, when I’m walking out my front door in the morning to go to work and take one in the face, I hate them. This weekend, I added another item to my list. The new affiliate giving cobwebs company is acorns.

I have a tremendous white oak tree in my back yard. It’s probably close to two-hundred years old and is very healthy. For about the last month this tree has been surrendering acorns. They have been ricocheting off my roof keeping me awake at night and accumulating on the ground. So many acorns had fallen that walking in the yard is like walking on marbles (those cartoon characters aren’t exaggerating much). Apparently there aren’t enough squirrels in my neighborhood to take the acorns away and since the majority of this tree fruit is now on the ground I decided it was time to take action.

After spending several hours raking acorns into rows and piles I was faced with the decision of what to do with them all. After some discussion with the neighbors and consultation with other individuals more wise than me, I still had no definitive answer. I reluctantly decided to add them to my ever expanding yard waste pile. After hauling about a dozen trash cans full of acorns across the yard, I called it quits. This constituted only about half the acorns that were relinquished by this massive white oak. I don’t know what I’m going to do with the rest of them. What I do know is that right now, I really hate acorns.

1 comment:

madam0wl, a.k.a Sandra said...

Make some acorn flour? You know, with all your free time. :) Or just make up a couple smallish bags to scatter around in the woods somewhere?