Sunday, August 30, 2009

Moving On Up

Moving is never easy. I was recently reminded of this when I bought my house a few months back. It’s even more difficult when the move involves lots of bikes and bike related stuff (including lots and lots and lots of spare parts). Jordyn, Justin, and the rest of the crew at Freeze Thaw Cycles are in the process of moving their entire store to a new location so I decided to give them a hand with this little undertaking.

They’re only moving a few blocks but it’s a significant few blocks. The new spot is bigger so there’s more space for both inventory and merchandise; there’s more headroom due to a lofted second floor that’s open to below; but what the new space really has is a sweet location. Instead of being on the second floor of a cramped little alley space, this quality bicycle shop will be located right in the heart of downtown at street level. Anyone traveling down Allen Street will surely see the new storefront with bikes abound. And if you miss that, the colossus of a sign above the store will be hard to miss.

Sure I could have worked at my own house this weekend to cross some tasks off my (ever expanding) list, but I’m not on a deadline to get those projects finished. Assisting with the transition was a nice distraction and it felt good to help out some friends even though I was really just in the way most of the time. When the new store opens for business on Tuesday there will be a lot of very exhausted people who have been working their tails off to get this move completed. Ultimately though, I bet they’ll be happy the move is finally done and they can take advantage of the new address.

No comments: