Sunday, July 5, 2009

Expensive Pain

This past week marked a significant milestone in my life. I finally purchased my very own house. Everything was made official on Tuesday. While this is an exciting time for me, it’s also causing me a lot of pain.

The house has hardwood floors in a majority of the rooms so I decided to have them refinished. I thought this would be a good time to do it because the house is empty (obviously). Since I can’t really move anything in yet, I’ve been doing a lot of work in the yard.

I first looked at the house in early spring before anything had really started to grow. Now that we’re fully into summer and we’ve had more rain than I care for, the plants, weeds, shrubs, grass, and bushes have been growing like gangbusters. Over the past three days I’ve been trying to get a handle on the landscaping. All I’ve seemed to do is spend a lot of money on yard tools and wear myself down to the point where all of me hurts.

While I have a lot of work left to do both inside and outside of the place I wouldn’t want it any other way. I’ll probably spend a lot of time worrying about insignificant aspects of the house and that’s okay because at the end of the day I get to call it mine. Eventually the sore muscles and overwhelming amounts of work will give way to general maintenance and minor upkeep. It will be nice, however, to move my stuff in and start living there.

1 comment:

A-Mac said...

Did you have any visitors who may have brought you house-warming presents? Or left some unintentionally???