Sunday, July 12, 2009

A First Time For Everything

The weather this weekend was beautiful. It brought the perfect mix of sunshine and low humidity which made for ideal road biking conditions. I decided to do some hills. The climbs provide the right amount of suffering and the downhills make it all worth it.

When I go downhill I like to go fast; as fast as I possibly can. It’s not uncommon for me to use both lanes on a decent in order to maximize speed while minimizing braking. One of my favorite descents is off the back side of Black Mo down into Julian and that’s where I was at this weekend.

So there I was, bombing down the hill. At one point I glanced down at my computer and I was flirting with 50 miles per hour. It’s also important to note that the posted speed limit on the road I was riding is 35. This is a key factor in the story. As I negotiated a turn I noted a state trooper coming up the hill. I didn’t think much about it and continued to stay tucked in to gain as much speed as I could. A few moments later, I heard the too familiar sound of a siren. I glanced over my shoulder and noticed that same trooper behind me and he wasn’t looking to pass. He was there to pull me over.

That’s right; I was pulled over by a state trooper while riding a bicycle. As I stood on the side of the road in utter disbelief and befuddlement I was issued a ticket for speeding. At first I was pretty jacked about what was happening but after I thought about it, the whole scenario became quite humorous. I asked the trooper if he often pulled over cyclists and he wasn’t amused. I reluctantly accepted my ticket and told the trooper I would slow down in the future.

While the above tale makes for a good story, it didn’t actually happen. I actually spent this weekend cleaning my new house and moving. That didn’t seem like it would be very exciting to talk about so I made something up. Sorry.

No comments: