Sunday, June 28, 2009

Aren’t You Forgetting Something?

Last week was interesting to say the least. By the time Friday rolled around I was ready to kick back and relax. I decided to go out for a nice dinner and have a beer. I hadn’t been to Elk Creek Cafe for a while so I decided to make the journey to Millheim.

When I got to Millheim I parked my car and reached into my bag for my wallet and phone. It was at that point I noticed I missed a call. I had a message from Cathy so I decided to call her back. I stayed in my car and chatted briefly before changing venues from the driver seat of my car to a seat in the bar.

As I opened the door to get out of my vehicle I heard an odd beeping noise. I wasn’t quite sure what was causing this annoyance. Everything in my car was turned off so I decided to ignore the beep and continue on my way. I locked my car and closed the door. At the exact moment the car door closed it became abundantly clear why my car was beeping at me. There, dangling from the ignition, were my keys. That’s right; my keys were now securely locked inside my car.

A lot of thoughts were running through my head at this point. First, I checked all the doors to make sure I really did lock my keys in the car. I had. I decided to call Cathy back and see if she was otherwise engaged or might be interested in driving to my house, getting my spare key, and then making the 45 minute trip to Millheim. She conveniently had other plans and suggested I call Triple A (and not the blues band). That seemed like a reasonable idea so I did. About thirty minutes later I had my keys in hand and was finally able to begin my evening as I had intended.

In the end everything worked out just fine. I ended up having dinner with the proprietor of Elk Creek and he bought me a beer for my troubles. Maybe next time I’ll check to see if anyone else wants to go with me and let them drive.

1 comment:

Betty said...

And you make fun of Scott for forgetting things :-)