Sunday, April 19, 2009

A Weekend of Bikes

I like bicycling. It doesn’t matter what kind of bike, I just enjoy spending time riding two wheeled machines that require me to supply the power. When I lived in Georgia I was almost exclusively a roadie because where I lived was flat, swampy, and devoid of mountains. When I returned to Pennsylvania I got back into mountain biking because let’s face it, the trails here are spectacular. This weekend I got a little bit of everything.

Saturday started out with Brian and me heading into Rothrock to ride the trails. It was a bluebird day with temperatures in the upper 60s. Add that to the fact that Brian recently got a new suspension fork for his bike and I knew a suffer-fest was not too far away. Needless to say his fork performed better than I did. After about the third hour I was running out of energy and shortly thereafter I ran out of water. By the end of the ride I was pretty well worked and ready to get out of the saddle.

The forecast for Sunday called for rain so I wasn’t planning to ride, however the weather predicting people were wrong. Since the weather was cooperating, Brian and I got out the skinny tire bikes for a short recovery ride. We were out for just over an hour but that was okay with me. It’s still early in my riding season so my legs aren’t quite acclimated.

Sunday evening I finally got to work on a project I’ve been putting off for almost a year. I started breaking down my first mountain bike (circa 1992) to begin it’s rebirth as a signal speed townie cruiser. It’s almost completely original (including the tubes) but well worn. It’s been a very reliable steed but lately I haven’t used it for much more than a bar bike. Hopefully I’ll be able to get it built back up in a few days and have it back in service to get me around town.

Yep, it was a weekend of bikes and it was great.

No comments: