Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Let's Play Steak

I just got back from my outing in Minneapolis. I’m worn down from several nights of poor sleep (even though my room situation was resolved) and catching up former colleagues, not to mention spending all day in training sessions. On our last evening in the city, a group of us decided to go big and have a nice steak dinner. It turned out to be a larger than life experience.

I like food and don’t mind spending money for a good meal. This however, was a new experience for me. Our waitress (Heidi) was a spitfire to say the least. When we told her it was our first time in this particular establishment she wheeled out a huge cart with various cuts of meat (and lobsters too). She explained the quality of the cuts while showing us examples. Next thing I knew she was picking up a rib-eye that I thought was straight from a dinosaur. The bone sticking out of this thing was almost the size of my arm. It looked fake. When this was followed by the 40 oz.“double porterhouse” I took it as a sign that I should order the smallest piece of meat on the menu. Actually, I think we all did.

The food arrived a short time later and it was plentiful. My “small filet” was probably about 12 oz. cooked. We could have fed everyone at the table with just the side dishes. We managed to eat most of the food and we were all pretty full. Even though most of us couldn’t eat another bite, Heidi convinced us to get dessert. Fortunately we had the wherewithal to order just one piece of key lime pie for the table. When it arrived I thought it was a whole pie. It seemed a fitting end to the meal.

Needless to say, the food was fantastic. Everything was cooked perfectly. The bill scared the hell out of me but that was expected. After all, the “double porterhouse” was listed on the menu at $92.00. I don’t know if it was worth it, but we all had a good time and laughed a lot. For some reason though, I doubt the office will reimburse me for this “business expense.”

No comments: