Sunday, April 12, 2009

Stop Me If You've Heard This One...

So a pig and a giraffe are riding along in a canoe when they come upon a giant rabbit. The pig looks at the giraffe and says, “Look, it’s a giant rabbit. How weird is that?” The rabbit looks down at the pig and the giraffe and says, “Screw you.”

I realize it’s not the best joke in the world, but it was a lot funnier when my three year old niece told it to me.

This weekend I went home to visit my parents and spend some time with the family. Since it was Easter, everyone was congregating at my parents for the food, merriment (or chaos), and egg hunting. I hadn’t been home in about three months so it was nice to get back and catch up with everyone and hear the imaginative stories my nieces and nephews concoct (as evidenced above).

Easter is one of those “holidays” that doesn’t really make sense to me. Without waxing too religious, I can’t quite figure out what rabbits, chocolate eggs, and jelly beans have to do with the resurrection of Jesus, but I’m okay it. Sometimes it’s best to not question the reasons and just accept the sugary goodness that has become a staple of the day.

Even though my niece didn’t really say the stuff above, it was still great to visit with the family and see how much the shorties have grown. Some things stayed the same though because the older ones still chase each other around and ignore me while the younger ones are still a little scared of me. Eventually, however, they all took time to give me some love. Of course I was sitting close to the candy.

No comments: