Sunday, January 13, 2013

Equations

So I've never been very good at math but I do enjoy it.  Specifically, I like the word problems.  Here's a little equation that I recently found myself working on.  It goes something like this:

What do you get when you take a lot of snow and add a lot of warm air and rain?  While the answer might seem obvious, it's not as simple as you would think.  In some cases, the product of this little problem is different depending on who is trying to solve it.  For me, the result tends to equal depression.

See, the weather here in the SC was just getting to the point where the slopes were open and operating nicely.  It was plenty cold and we had some help from Mother Nature with a bit of early season snow.  Now, all we get is mud, bare spots, limited slope availability, and a season that almost was.   

Sure there is cold weather on in the forecast and the slopes will bounce back, but it's tough to really get motivated about a ski season when your standard February warm spell hits in January.  Granted, it's still early and there are plenty of weeks of possibility for another coating of natural but at this point, I would just take an extended cold snap that will allow us to get back to what we all look forward to in the winter; skiing, snowboarding, and building the occasional snowman.  

No comments: