Sunday, September 16, 2012

Land Anchors

This weekend I decided I needed to spend some time being domestic and get some long neglected chores done around my house.  It was going to be a nice weekend and I had lots of projects to work on both indoors and out, so in lieu of riding I figured I could at least still be outdoors, just doing stuff to my house.  It seemed simple enough, and then I started putting together the list of things I wanted to do.

After twelve items were added to my little "to-do" list, I knew I would have an uphill battle.  I have a porch that needs to be painted and new screens built.  I need to start getting the yard ready for winter, which includes stacking firewood.  I need to get the garage cleaned out so I can pull my car in.  I need to clean my house and start getting ready to paint over all the drywall that I've added/patched.  There was also a handful of small things like doing laundry and getting caught up on some bills.  

What I realized is that my house is a giant time suck of projects that I want to do but don't seem to have the time for.  I don't think these projects are too grandiose, but yet they take lots and lots of time and one thing that I'm getting really good at is underestimating how much time.  On the flip side, however, I could have been like Jerry who ate some bad sushi and spent most his night puking his guts out (fortunately not at my house).  That seemed like a fitting way for him to start his week of debauchery in Las Vegas.  

No comments: