Sunday, June 17, 2012

The Grind

So I'm full-on into several house projects that have all seemed to come together at once.  I started by installing duct work so I could have central heat and air put in.  That involved cutting a lot of holes in the floors and creating a significant mess.  Before I could cut the holes, however, I needed to remove the baseboard heaters and thermostats that were throughout my house.  This left multiple electrical boxes that needed to be removed from the walls and therefore lots of holes needed to be patched.  If you've ever done drywall then you know that this can only adds to the mess.  

While all of this was going on my dryer decided to shoot craps and stop throwing off heat.  I tried a few things but ultimately ended up with a new dryer.  This, of course, meant that I could correct an issue that has been bothering me since I bought the house; that being the vent location for the dryer.  I thought it would be a good idea to vent the new dryer out of the exterior wall instead of through the basement window.  I wasn't quite sure how this was going to happen since my house is made of stone, but I was naively optimistic I'd figure something out.  Well, I did.  

The stone is about eight inches thick.  Luckily I was able to use this:

 












To do this:


I was fortunate enough to borrow a beast of a hammer drill with a tungsten-carbide cutter bit.  I spent about an hour and a half drilling through my house.  It was a lot of work but was easier than I thought.  Now I can get back to completing the mess inside my house that will be lots of drywall dust.  

No comments: