Sunday, October 16, 2011

The Numbers Game

About five years ago, I parted ways with the land-line phone company and went to a completely cellular communication network. One of the advantages to having the cell phone is that it comes with caller ID, assuming I have the person’s number in my phone. What that also means is that I don’t need people to call me and leave a message on my voicemail saying, “Hi. It’s mom. Call me back.” I clearly saw that there was a call from my mother and would call back without the need for the message. Most of my friends know not to leave a message since, as in the aforementioned example, I would inevitably call the person back.

So this past weekend, after a few hours of splitting firewood to get ready for the impending winter, I noticed a message on my phone from a number I did not recognize. There was also a voicemail so I decided to take a listen. It was a prerecorded message that I considered deleting right away but when they said it was my bank, I thought I better continue to listen. The mechanical voice said that there were some odd charges on my credit card and they wanted to verify if they were mine. Since I was just traveling last weekend I assumed it was no big deal and would clear everything up with a simple phone call to an actual person.

I called the number that was identified in the voicemail and, after a few automated menus, began to talk with a Kris. Kris wanted to check on a few “suspicious” charges that appeared on my card. I didn’t think anything of it but when she told me that there were two charges totaling approximately $600 dollars at a store in Maine earlier that day, I realized that someone stole my credit card number.

I’m not sure how or when it happened but after a few more minutes and providing some additional information, Kris said my account would be shut down and a new card would be sent to me right away. Fortunately for me, no more charges have appeared and all the other account activity seemed to be in order. This was one time I didn’t mind having a message on my voicemail.

No comments: