Sunday, October 30, 2011

Doors Galore

Now that the weather is getting colder and the days are getting shorter, I figured I was done working on outdoor projects with my house. I had a few small projects left on the list that I was going to do like cleaning my chimney so I can get the wood stove stoked up, but nothing too terribly involved. I did, however, decide that I wanted to put in a storm door on the house to help cut back the draft around the font door.

As I’m finding with most projects related to my house, the storm door install turned into more than I bargained for. I purchased the door on Saturday but decided that since it was snowing I’d wait until Sunday to get the door in place. After I realized that I would need to remove some flashing and spacer strips to get at the actual jambs I knew it was going to be a long day. Then, after two trips to the home store and two hours spent trying to remove said flashing and spacer strips, I decided it was time to get out the headlamp because I wasn’t going to have enough daylight to finish this project.

After an additional trip to the home store and countless expletives spoken aloud and to myself, I finally managed to get the door hung and the handle installed. I didn’t actually finish the install nor did I get anything else accomplished. My living room ended up looking like a tool-bomb went off and my garage is just as bad. Hopefully I’ll find some time this week to get everything finished so I can enjoy the piles of candy I plan to get from trick-or-treating. Happy Halloween!

No comments: