Sunday, July 24, 2011

Welcome to Hades

It will come as no surprise to anyone that it’s been a shade hotter than normal here in the SC. Now when I say a shade, I really mean exponentially. It’s been so hot that I actually wanted to go to work just to be in the air conditioning. I’m not saying it’s the hottest place on earth, but sometimes I feel like the inside of my house is, in fact, the fiery molten center of the earth. I may be wrong, but I think it reached one million degrees here.

When it gets hot like this I’m reminded of a saying that goes something like, “cool as the underside of the pillow.” Well, just for fun I took a thermometer to see just how cool the underside of my pillow was. I was hoping it would be icy cold and could somehow devise a contraption that could use this chilled pillow technology to make the rest of my house bearable. To my surprise it wasn’t cool at all. In fact, it was almost 90 degrees. That’s right, 90. Keep in mind; it was just past seven o’clock in the evening when I took this reading. It was at that very moment I realized I was going to sleep at someone else’s house and leave my pillow at home.

I’m fairly confident the heat will let up and, before long, it will start getting cold. Then, I’ll have a whole new list of things to complain about. It’s really just one big cycle of being too hot and too cold with a few days of just right thrown in for fun.

No comments: